View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 05:46

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/125
BF:
Progress: 35%

There are those who also feel one should eat according to what one's ancestors ate in the region where they logically originated. In a nutshell, if your ancestors are from the Pacific Rim then the tropical diet should work best for you; if your ancestors are from colder regions such as northern Europe then you'd only eat what would have been available to them and only in season. For example, being diabetic I can't really handle fruit well, except for when they are in season. Strawberries in season have virtually no effect upon my blood sugar--even if I eat two pints in one sitting! But out of season...a couple of small ones will have an effect. I can't eat bananas at any time (despite the fact I used to love them) but they are something NONE of my Scottish/English/German ancestors would have eaten. So IMHO I think there is something to that idea. (I have also noticed I crave nuts in fall and winter and they have no effect on my blood sugar, but I can't eat them in summer. I do best on walnuts, filberts and almonds. I can't eat cashews or brazil nuts, but pistachios are apparently OK. Go figure.