Thread: What to do?
View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-12-03, 11:15

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

First of all, I send my sympathies for your husband's accident. Thankfully he is all right, despite his newfound attitude to stuff you full of cheap fatty noodles.

There are a bunch of threads on here about saving money and eating thrifty on low carb. Here are a few of my ideas:

Chicken is pretty cheap, especially if you buy it whole or in bulk. Buy it and freeze it. You can also make chicken soup which will stretch it out a bit.

Generally, there will usually be a type of meat on sale as well. If you're not that picky, it really isn't THAT expensive. Like Paleo suggested, making a big meat casserole with veggies and such would allow for several servings out of ground beef, for instance, instead of just two hamburgers.

EGGS! Eggs are cheap and can be made up so many different ways. Eat them hard boiled, egg salad, over easy, in mock danishes, etc.

I can get 8oz of cream cheese for 99 cents. That can be used on celery and in mock danishes.

Veggies aren't really all that expensive, especially if you eat them without waste. Make sure to prepare and chop them, etc. so you will eat them before they go bad. Large bags of frozen veggies can also be a bargain.

If worse comes to worse, I know it's insanely cheap, but if you're going to eat carbs, please don't eat ramen. That stuff is so packed with fat, hydrogenated oils, MSG, sodium, and ZERO nutrients. If you're going to go cheap, at least try more wholesome foods than that. (pretty much anything else. )

Good luck. Hope your husband wises up that this is a healthy lifestyle choice for you and that your health is just as important as his.