View Single Post
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 17:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 167.5/122/115 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

Ageekott, the same thing happened to me. I read the Atkins book & got an overly optimistic impression of how fast I would lose. I remember thinking I maybe could get rid of all my excess weight by Christmas. Yeah right! I was disappointed at first at my losses, (which were actually pretty good if only I had had a more reasonable expectation), then to make matters worse I stalled for several weeks right after the first two weeks. I was really tempted to give up, but my diet buddy convinced me to stick it out for 3 months, by which time the stall was long gone. Since then I have sometimes stalled out for a week or two, but then I usually lose faster the week after. It averages out to about 1.5# a week for me.

I think the Atkins book is very misleading about the rate of loss. He makes it sounds like this miracle diet which will have the pounds falling off you faster than you can count them. More realistic information is in there, but you really have to hunt for it. That is the only quarrel I have with Dr. Atkins. (Well, that and I wish he would be more up-front about the problems some people have with sugar alcohols.)