View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-03, 23:08

Plan: My Own
Stats: ?/?/145
BF:
Progress:

Ive just found this sight and your depo thread interested me. I was diagnosed with PCOS (I only had 4 periods a year) and it took me a few years to actually fall pregnant and I now have 2 beautiful boys. The drs then put me onto the depo provera. I went from a size 8 (Australian) to a size 20 in the process of 4-5 years. This happened despite the fact I was exercising more and following WW as well as trying low carbing. I even went down to 800 cal for 2 weeks and put on 3 kilos. I was so frustrated! I finally went off the Depo last October when I was due for a shot. It contains a steroid and is synthetic. It's not good for you body generally. The more I read about the effects the worse it seems. I would never encourage anyone to take the depo. They don't tell you either that the longer you don't have a cycle your chances are increased at getting uterine cancer.

My dr told me it would take 18 months to get out of my system. I am now at that time of the month for the first time in 4 or 5 years, 8 months after my last needle..this is the 3rd day. I'm hoping now these have recommenced so to speak the weight will come off and I will try low carbing again.

So I'm starting again today and will be watching and reading this site as the posters seem friendly and it's very informative.

My advice to anyone even thinking of the depo, do some research on the net and talk with people who have actually used it.

Sorry my post is long and I know that the depo affects people differently, but I have seen a lot of women in a similar boat to the ones here. I just wanted them to know they aren't alone.

Cheers!

Mandy