View Single Post
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 20:36

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

After nearly 2 years following low carb, I still look for new recipes and ideas. I have my favorites, of course, but that doesn't stop me from trying new things. There are more and more low carb cookbooks hitting the market nearly every month. I just picked up a new one a few weeks ago and have been having a blast trying new recipes and getting ideas for modifying my own.
Lately I've been experimenting with low carb soups. Before low carb, I always had a pot of some type of soup in the refrigerator during the winter months, but the old favorites of bean, pea and clam chowder are way too high carb. So....now we have Tuscan sausage soup, cauliflower cheese soup, chicken soup (minus the rice or noodles), cream of mushroom soup or texas-style chili. Probably going to start experimenting to come up with a broccoli cheese soup in the next week or two.
Be creative! Look at your old recipes and think, "how can I make this low carb?".
Instead of enchiladas or burritos with a packet of taco mix and regular tortillas, try making your own taco seasoning and using some of the low carb tortillas available. I've done this a few times with great results.
Revive the French method of making sauces by deglazing the pan with a little water and adding spices and some cream to thicken it instead of flour. Yes, it takes a little longer to simmer it to the right thickness, but the taste has no comparison to flour thickened gravies.
Instead of plain steamed asparagus, how about wrapping 5 or 6 spears in a slice of bacon and roasting it?
Variety and creativity will give you a great low carb kitchen!