View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 07:15
Fitday PC's #1 Fan

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: 310/151.0/152.5 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 101%

I used to wear a pedometer (now I use a calorie meter) and use it to help me learn how to add a lot of extra mini exercise into my day. I do things like park at the end of the parking lot instead of near a door, take the long way to a meeting at work instead of the direct way, buy groceries and finish by walking the aisles an extra time before checking out.

Other things you could do would be to get off the bus one stop earlier or later, use the bathroom on another level of your work building, carry laundry from laundry room to closet one piece at a time instead in a basket, stand for 5 min during a time you'd normally sit, etc. I think the media doesn't promote tiny exercise very well, and it really adds up.

This is what I use now to keep track of exercise: http://www.imsystems.net/BioTrainer2-.html

It doesn't just count steps. You get credit for any activity that burns calories. I like that because when I used a pedometer, I'd oftends favor walking over other (more demandng) exercise like gardening, picking up sticks, clearing brush, etc. This tracker tells me when I'm active and not just when my feet take a step.

I write down my daily exercise calories each day. I work in a huge pizza factory and normally get 500 - 800 calories of exercise just by doing my job. On days when something goes wrong I might have to climb up or under things or move a bunch of boxes and that counts as exercise (as it should) even if I'm not putting on miles.

The tracker has also shown how easy it can be for me to not move much when home on weekends. My hikes up our hills burn 100 - 300 calories depending on the route I take, but a relaxed weekend day with a good walk burns significantly less calories than a day when I miss my walk but was at work and made a grocery run afterwards - UNLESS I stay aware and sneak in a bunch of mini exercies.

Being able to be very aware of your activity level encourages you to do stupid little things like adding 10 jumping jacks before you get in your car in the morning, or being more likely to be the one to volunteer to run outside and check the mail or move the garden hose.

My long tern goal is to be stable at my goal weight by balanced eating and by being an acitve person. I really hate wasting my time on meaningless activity, and while formal exercise or walking programs do burn calories, making lifestyle changes like walking to places instead of driving or doing heavy homesteading work instead of going for a 20 minute walk to nowhere works so much better for me. With exercise walking programs, it is so easy to get into the trap of going for lots of steps that you walk right by all kinds of great exercise (park swings, stairs, climbing a tree, lifting and carrying things).

When I was at my heaviest, a lot of "basic exercise" that people take for granted was incredibly tiring for me. It made a real difference to allow myself to value lots of little things as much as I'd value a big thing. When I was really into walking, I'd do 12 mile walks on the weekend. Getting to that level was the result of the exercise benefits of every stair flight or extra 20 ft in a parking lot. Looking at it now, though, I'd be an idiot to spend 3 hours walking around doing nothing else. Now I'll hike around for 1/2 hour to an hour to see what's changing on our land and to try to spot the deer or a groundhog (that's unwinding time, entertainment, and an attempt to tire out my dog). Then I'll do something productive like stack logs or clean house. It sure beats the old "exercising because I should" attitude - for me at least.

If I were you, Kenny, I'd really consider that Bio Trainer. You enter your weight in it so it gives you an accurate reading of calories burned. At your current weight, you may find that one extra bus stop represents a very meaningful calorie expenditure and you'd be able to tailor your exercise to your body, and re-tailor it as you continue losing.

BTW - Great job on your progress! I get a real kick out of seeing how well things are going for you.

Lynda