#3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-07-03, 02:54

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%
Thumbs up Getting the exercise in

Hi Kenny

Sounds like your day at work is similar to mine, except I have a longer lunch hour.

What I started out doing a couple of years ago was walking around the block at lunch time. At first I could only do this for 8 minutes, but each week I made myself walk a little further and it became easier. I ended up walking for around 20 minutes at a time.

Have you considered going swimming. I had not been in a swimming pool for over 20 years when I went on holiday 18 months ago. I did not do much swimming, but used it for hydrotherapy. I vowed to keep on going when I came back and as such joined the local gym which had a pool. Yes it does cost me over £50 a month, but I certainly now see it as money well spent and enjoy going. I do aqua aerobics once a week which is great fun and your weight does not matter. I've still not improved my swimming ability! At the gym they gave me a workout programme which was fairly basic and consistent with my capabilities over time. I've really improved since that time and you can see some of that from my gym log. The first few months I went I was not a member here. I enjoy walking on the treadmill and whilst those around me jog along I just walk and the speed at which I can do this with my little legs is improving. Also at the gym you can lift weights and this not only improves your body shape by toning up the muscles, but creates new muscle which helps improve your insulin resistance. I also go to Body pump classes once a week where I lift weights to music, exercising one part of the body at a time. I could not have done that at the start, but after 3 months it was possible using the lightest weights. Whilst you may be self consious of your weight, in general people tend to just get on with their routine at the gym. You don't need much, a pair of trainers, a T-shirt and some loose fitting trousers.

The evenings are certainly getting lighter and suspect it is OK for you to go out for a short walk. Work up an appetite for dinner! Do some power walking in the streets near where you live.

All these little efforts do help. I tend to find I am down a pound the day after I've had a very good session at the gym. One thing to beware. The first week I went to the gym I put on 3 pounds. Muscle is heavier than fat and also my body probably held onto some extra water as well.

I hope you find something to suit you soon. The thing is you need to enjoy it rather than it being a chore and something you have to do.