#154   ^
Old Tue, Sep-18-12, 06:57

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Quote:
Originally Posted by catinhat
Most processers will put beef tallow or pork fat in the ground venison too, which makes it really useful. I make a lot of venision chili - with either ground or the roast meat. Me, I love a medium rare steak, and properly marinated, I like venison as good as any.

Hello, I've been stalking for a few days and couldn't help getting a chuckle out of your Bambi problem. I live in Iowa, in the boonies, so deer season is a special occasion here, people go crazy, take vaction time and ruin marriages just to go hunting. My oldest is 13, he's got his first deere tag, youth get to hunt early here, so weve been working on that. We have loads of deer too, our farm is right next to a large state forest, plus with all these corn, been and alfalfa farmers, they breed like bunnies here. We have a small corn field, a small bean field, some alfalfa, all right next to the big grass hay field and year round running spring and, some timber for shelter. Ya, BF thinks this out when he plants his crops, he's happy to feed them as long as he gets to shoot them. He has a critter camera and puts it up here and there to see where they are feeding and what time. He's getting excited and its crazy.

We do grind our deer meat with beef tallow to up the fat, add flavor and make it easier to cook/handle. Its good stuff, my BF doesn't like to eat deer even though he's one of those that will drop reality to go kill some. I mix the deer burger with ground beef so he doesn't notice the difference. The way I see it, if we kill it, we should eat it. Ok, I don't eat rats, coons or possums, every girl has a line she won't cross (tried the coon last fall, it was awful).

We eat a lot of wild game, I'm glad I don't live in an area that has issues with that. Squirrel season is open, rabbit, turkey, quail will be opening soon. Open deer is December 1st. I'm getting excited thinking about it.

To help up my fats since wild game tends to be lean, I fry a lot of it, but roll it in pork rinds then fry it. Soaks up some of the frying fat, good stuff! I do the same with shrimp tails, chicken breast and anthing I want to fry!

People would be better off if they ate more wild game. We eat a lot of fresh caught catfish, blue gill, bass, turtle, perch. It helps keep the grocery costs down and the freezer full although I do love my pork, beef, chicken and shrimp

I am wanting to up my fat and get my protien down too. I'm not all that far from my goal and I've always found it hard to loose the weight. I have issues with upping my calories but I have to to get the fat in, and get enough protien without going over.