View Single Post
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 16:22

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 271/217/186 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 64%

It is certainly true, for all the reasons stated above, that big guys do lose pounds easily on the Atkin's eating plan.

But there are a couple of hidden issues that should be considered while basking in the glow sudden, steady weight loss:

1. A fair number of us guys have very great insulin resistance, and for us, it is harder to lose than for those who have not deteriorated to that point, or who have not inherited that tendency.

2. Big guys who fail to exercise A LOT will lose not only fat, but also a great deal of muscle, and will end up in much worse physical condition, and have greater health problems, than when we were fat.

This second problem does not happen so much with women as it does men, it can be a significant danger for men, especially for older men.

My main focus on the WOE is to maintain my strength and my muscle mass, more so than to focus on weight loss.

We have to make sure that we are losing only fat, and that is not so easy to do.

To be forewarned, is to be forearmed!! (And who doesn't need four arms, from time to time?)

Keep on, keepn' on!