#29   ^
Old Wed, Aug-08-12, 10:38

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SthrnTami
I appreciate all the comments and suggestions, folks. Unfortunately, there's no "right" way to handle it. I wish this was a decision that I made when the children were little.

Right now, we're still just taking the gradual approach. I'm serving a couple of different veggies along with a protein for dinner, skipping the regular rice/potatoe/pasta side dish.

They're still eating snacks, etc., that are primarily carbs, but we'll take it a step at a time.

Tami

I did little changes as my little ones grew up. I talked about why eating a certain food was a better choice than another. Even today, years later, choices to make. I can't control what they choose outside the house; I can help them inside my home. I don't buy junk food-- I would eat it. I have recently asked that we refrain from baking cakes, cookies and breads to help mommy loose weight and I can play more soccer with them. My 10 year old is more inclided to make good choices ( not many bad ones in my house really) and my younger child is already feeling the NEED for carbs, yet he is thin and trim still. I try to counsel them on keeping to two servings of bread a day and two fruits a day. ( I don't buy juice) THey can eat all the salad they want, and meats and water. ( No soda in the house.)

It is a process. Quick changes can create rebellion unless the teen is completely on board and wants the quick change.

I sometimes have my kids help with the food shopping, to pick out a new veg or new fruit or nut. Some rules apply--no cold cereals, no crackers or traditional snack foods. My kids have learned this over the years so shopping has become easier to stay on target.

Perhaps include them with a night or two when they create a menu, with you supervising initally and guiding to better foods slowly. TO get kids cooking in the kitchen may start with mac and cheese but with time become steak and green beans.

GOod luck-- you are heading in the right direction!!! You know your kids and how to approach change.