View Single Post
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 05:42

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Don't feel dumb!

There is absolutely nothing wrong with having goals! I just want to encourage you to make sure that they are realistic and to not completely gauge your success or failure on them. Ask yourself: How will I feel and what will I do if I don't reach my goal by the date that I set? Will you be celebrating because you lost 5 pounds by that date or beating yourself up because you didn't lose 10? Would losing only 5 pounds as opposed to 10 be a success or a failure? What if you don't lose any weight for a month but lose 4 or 5 inches instead? Take measurements now...they are a much better gauge of how you are doing, especially when that dial on the scale isn't budging for a while. You can lose inches and not pounds!
My personal opinion for me is that any loss of weight or inches means that I am being successful in my WOL. I stopped setting deadlines for my weight loss a long time ago because I would wind up feeling frustrated and defeated for not losing as much as I had determined I should by the date that I had set instead of being happy that I had lost the weight that I had.
At the beginning of the year, I set a goal to be 30 pounds less by the end of the year, but I don't plan on quitting low carb or beating myself up if I don't make that. I'll be celebrating next New Year because I'm healthier than I was and smaller than I was and medication free instead of being sicker, bigger and taking a handful of pills every day.