View Single Post
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-12, 13:38

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

My BF wants his goodies and pop and chips, I have no choice, there, he is an adult. As for the table, I make that descidion but I don't want to be extream. I will say, none of my children are overweight. My daugter is known for binging on goodies, I'm a binge eater also. My boys aren't normaly binge eaters.

At meals, we have a meat, a carby side and a veggie. The carby side can be potatoes (couple times a week) fruit or on a very rare occasion mac and cheese (BF insists on occasion). I don't allow over eating either, if they want seconds, its going to be on a veggie, if they don't take it, we know they aren't hungry. I don't allow huge piles of food on their plates, they don't need to learn to eat that way. We eat with smaller salad plates (much to BFs distaste) and that seams to creat smaller portion sizes on their own. We havn't had to do it, but my Mother now keeps food on the counter, and you have to get up to get seconds. She said it really cuts down on the amount of food the guys eat. I to have noticed if BF is still full, he will sit there and pick at the extra food on the table. We clear the table quickly to keep that from happening.

I don't want my children thinking that dessert is mandatory, so, I make a dessert type thing once every few weeks. BF thinks he has to have dessert nightly, so he has a locked box stashed in our bedroom with candybars in it. He eats them but the kids have no idea, it doesn't bother me. We have chips for his lunch, but the kids know not to ask for them. They end up with chips for supper once every few weeks along with a meat and veggie of course! BF has pop in the frids also, my oldest will ask permission every now and then for one. The younger ones don't even think to ask about it, they don't see it drank in the house. They drink milk, water or iced tea, no juice, chocolate milk or anything of the sort.

I hate it when my younger kids come home and tell me that juice, raisen cookies, and pastas are heathy. I don't want to tell them that the school is lying to them. Instead I tell them that its ok in small amounts and meats and veggies are most important. When my daughter wants to binge on junk food, I remind her that eating more than a small amount is not healthy. I do tell her the truth about being fat. I tell her that she's better off eating just a little bit of the junk food than alot. Alot of junk food will make you and everyone fat, and its easier to stay slim and healthy than to try to loose the fat down the road. She doesn't complain when I make her and her brother split a large cookie, or if they get a pop, they split it also.

I think we do set good examples, but we can't take it all away, they may binge when they get the chance.

I am the mother/woman of the house, I control the house, especially with my children. If we let them make their own choices, most likely they will make bad choices, they just don't care, yet. Small changes that taste good, then they wont miss the extra crap.