View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 14:10

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%
Default Earthlight's autoimmune question...

I believe there are many more cases these days.

And I think our (read: woman's) lifestyle is one part of the ratio. Meaning the stress we live with these days, and the processed foods that are abundant and the lack of activity for starters.

My family has no autoimmune diseases anywhere in the family tree until my sister developed RA. This was very shortly after leaving an abusive husband. And I feel, without any doubt, that the stress of living with the one, caused the other. Not only living with him, but putting up with the crap trying to get away from him! I don't think it is a coincidence.

Every case I personally know of, where autoimmune diseases came about during middle age, there was a crisis/stress situation preceding the diagnosis.

I know that people all through history have had these types of situations, but I think what was expected of them then, is different now. Take me, for instance. I have had terrible fibro this past year and three bouts of piriformis syndrome. All I want to do is stay home. But because of the financial pressure I have on my plate, and my husband's attitude about working, I still hobble up and get into work. Which is stressful in and of itself.

And don't even get me started on the bad, bad things about office jobs!

I know this will rankle some; but I truly believe that the upward trend of a lot of diseases countless woman are now facing has to do with our new "equality" roles and the different stresses that places on us and our health.