View Single Post
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Mar-04-03, 13:40

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 325/283/200
BF:
Progress: 34%

I feel your pain. I developed some strategies to get me through induction without cheating. I always had something around that I could eat that was high fat or high protien, like sliced turkey, or celery w/cream cheese. That way when a craving hit I would have something to eat, additionally I had Diet Rite cola around an having some of it seemed to blunt the "sweet" part of the craving while the "hunger" part was given protien and fat. This seemed to make it much easier for me.

On induction I didn't give a hoot about calories, so if you are restricting your calories, even a little, don't. That might just be triggering cravings. I just ate until I was full, and tried to pay attention to when I was satisfied. If I ate too much then I tried to pay better attention the next time. What I found was that after a few days of just eating as much of the approved foods as I wanted, I started eating less. I was recognizing the satifaction point and stopping sooner. I drink 5-6 liters of water a day and take supplements to keep a lack of nutrients or water from triggering a craving as well. This method did not seem to interupt any weight loss.

If you are determined to Atkins, these strategies might help you. If you need more variety, look into other plans. The mistake, I think, people make, as someone mentioned above, is that they are so used to following a set diet "Plan" that they feel like it's the bible. It's not, it's a guideline. Yes, its true that some people may need to drastically reduce carbs to get their weight down, but if you go to the gym 6 days a week and have only 15 pounds to lose, I can assure you that you are probably not one of those people. Find a plan that looks like you can do it, then make it work for you. If you need the "rules" then maybe pick a less restrictive plan. Sure you may not lose the wieght as fast, but you will be successful inthe end, so who cares?

Don't abandon the low-carb altogether, the health benefits are too great to give up. You just need to get through that first phase so you can feel them for yourself!