Old Wed, May-30-12, 19:48
Glutton for Grease!

Plan: Primal-VLC
Stats: 295/190/190 Male 76
BF:don't/really/care
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karhys
I'm not anti-science, I'm anti-Big Pharma. I think it's great if they can find out how this sort of thing works, and I like to see them figuring out solutions -- it could potentially benefit a lot of people. But I hate how more often than not it seems to lead to an inevitable pathway of "how can we turn this into a pill?" And that's not even because I'm anti-pills per se, but rather that I see how that often leads inevitably to "if I take that pill, I can eat whatever I want!"

I believe proper dietary interventions are a much more holistic solution to a large number of medical problems than pill + continued junk diet. And I believe that's every bit as true for little kids as it is for adults. I know of countless kids who are living healthy, happy and with a greater enjoyment of life on paleo or low carb diets (more than anything diets that emphasize whole foods) and who don't even realise they're "missing out" or "being forced" into it. And I know of a lot of kids suffering (often with health problems that these days we assume are "normal" for kids) because people think they're being deprived if they don't get ice cream and cookies.

Unfortunately, too much reading has turned me into a roaring cynic, so I'm more apt to roll my eyes at media articles than I am to see the good side of them, these days.

I see that "if I take a pill, I can eat whatever I want!" attitude every day. My wife is a diabetic on oral medication and sadly, she won't be convinced to stop eating junk. I just eat my ketogenic diet in front of her and extol its virtues, hoping one day she'll start listening