View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-02-03, 23:48

Plan: modified Atkins & SS
Stats: 156/142/130
BF:
Progress: 54%
Wink beer/alcohol

The alcohol & caffeine restriction is what kept me from trying the Atkins diet. But then I read some other forums, and realized that low carb diets CAN include both in moderation.

My husband & I like a glass of wine with dinner, and maybe a drink or 2 at "happy hour"(unwinding after work) a few times a week. We're not alcoholics by any means, but this is something we did not want to give up for a diet, because it impacts our social
life as well.

We checked it out, and and as long as we drink dry (not sweet) wine, and do not use fruit juices or tonics in drinks, the carb count is low or zero. But, as one post said, if your body is taking the time out to burn off alcohol, it's taking away from burning fat.

Well, we've been on it 10 days now. My husband has lost 9 lbs., and as of 2 days ago (I don't weigh myself until every 3rd day) I've lost 7lbs. We've stuck to the Atkins induction diet, except for a cup or 2 of coffee (using real cream), and have continued to "imbibe" the same amount of wine, etc. as before. And I use those "Ketostix", and am still running purple (which means I'm burning FAT!)

I know this may be very politically incorrect to post this (about the alcohol thing). But there are a lot of people out there who are avoiding this diet because of the restrictions. I say - read & learn, and figure out how it can work for you. It is sooo worth it! Everyone is different - figure out what works for you & fits into your lifestyle..... because otherwise, you won't end up sticking to it!

Good luck!!!