View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 23:55

Plan: NSNG
Stats: 260/164/185 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 128%

Quote:
My friend says well it was either get the bypass or die.

Unfortunately, for many, it's get the bypass and die.

Weight Loss Surgery brings up strong feelings for a lot of people (on both sides of the debate). Personally, I think it's too dangerous for all but a very few to even consider. And those few consist of the people who have literally tried everything and had no success in alleviating the health issues that accompany their weight.

There are certainly people who undergo WLS--and I know no less than 5 who have gone under the knife in the past year, and 3 more scheduled for the coming months--who truly are looking for an easy way. It is not entirely uncommon for people to "cheat" in order to qualify for surgery. ("Cheating" can include purposely gaining weight, lying to doctors and therapists during diet history interviews and psych evaluations, and even strapping weights to their body during doctor's visits to make the scale read higher to ensure that they qualify.)

There are those who call it physician assisted bulimia. Some who even call it physician assisted suicide. And still others who believe it's a godsend.

I tend to think of it as medically sanctioned starvation, and just another form of self-mutilation.

But, like I said...lots of strong opinions all around.