Old Sat, Mar-01-03, 10:12
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hello there!

>>"This is day three for me... I haven't dropped into ketosis yet."

Because your body can store enough glycogen (sugar energy) to last several days, it can take at least that long to get into ketosis.

IIRC, though, the Eadeses don't encourage monitoring whether or not you're in ketosis. I wouldn't be concerned about it. It's far more important that you eat proper foods than be producing a ton of ketones. There are plenty of non-ketogenic plans out there, and they still work, so ketosis is not necessarily a desired state.

>>"Second, what's with this halitosis thing I've got going????"

This is a sign that your body is producing ketones. If it's that bad, you're probably not drinking enough water. You can brush your teeth a li'l more often if it concerns you. IMHO, ketone breath is far better than the bad breath that comes from constantly feeding sugar to the bacteria in your mouth. You'll probably start noticing that your teeth stay much cleaner.

About your intestinal troubles... from what I've heard from other gall-bladder-less folks on the board, it's best to try to even your fat intake out throughout the day. This is because your gall bladder was the storage area for bile, and it would only "activate" when you ate fat. But now that there's no storage area, the bile dribbles in at a fairly constant rate. So this means you'll have to find a balance where you're eating *enough* fat, but not too much at one sitting. HTH - if you want to read more, go to the "search" page and search the health forum for "gall bladder." There have been many threads, probably better explained than I just did.

>>"Oh BTW.. I discovered a GREAT treat yesterday! ..."

Oh - low-carb junk food. Guess what? They knock people out of ketosis. Because of loop holes in labelling laws, they're allowed to proclaim that there's only 5 g of carbohydrate in those bars, but in reality, everyone's body handles them differently. Many people get the same insulin surge from them as they would from sugar. Anyone trying to get into ketosis should avoid them. For more info, read "the truth about low carb sweeteners info" under the "quick links" over to the right. Stick with the real, whole foods recommended in the books.

Best of luck! Keep at it!