View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-03, 22:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/230/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 37%
Red face Am I crazy? It's ok to say yes!

Ok, this is gonna sound strange, it even feels silly to ask it, but I am going to risk looking dumb, anyway. *deep breath*

The pan bread recipe with eggs and pork rinds. I make this with garlic and dried onion, and eat it for hamburger buns. It really tastes like a bread to me, and I feel (even though I logically *know* better) that I am eating something I shouldn't.

Now his is the question. Do mock foods "fool" your body? Is it at all possible?

I know I read a long time ago when someone says, "I gain weight just PASSING by a bakery!" there is some truth in this. A scientific study was done that proved you can actually gain weight from the sight and smell of delicious foods.

It had something to do with smelling the food and starting the cephalic response. Salivation occurs, which stimulates the pancreas to release insulin, using your available blood sugar and causing a deficit, (hence the weight gain) then setting up the hunger craving.

Even if you didn't eat something from the bakery, you set into motion a process which causes you to gain weight without eating a thing, because the liver releases glucagon stores into the blood stream. The study also said, If I recall correctly, that some people are very sensitive to food suggestions, and that any time the salivation process takes place, they can actually gain real weight from this process. (I can't find the study, but I recall seeing it on CNN many many months ago. I will keep looking.)

I know this applies to people that eat carbs and sugar, but I am wondering if there is some sort of metabolic correlation that takes place when we at mock foods? Are we fooling ourselves, mind and body, enough to where our bodies actually believe we are eating no-no's? Is this the real reason people "stall" when they eat mock danish or sugar alcohols? Does smelling food, especially sweets we are missing badly, set into motion a metabolic action that can affect low carbers as well? Do artificial sweeteners do the same thing? If protein can be turned into glucose, could it be some people that are sight/smell oversensitive to foods have this type of response? Can our bodies utilize protein sufficiently enough to produce, and store glucose?

Let me know what you think.
Sponsored Links