View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-28-03, 14:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/198/178
BF:27/25/18
Progress: 5%

Dear Disney,

I think you got it right - it really comes down to willpower. Making changes in your diet, even little ones, are way harder than anyone who's never done it would ever believe. Let me share an experience I had with you about willpower:

I was determined to lose weight and after doing research on how to do it, I picked Atkins. The first two days were a breeze and I managed to convince myself I was already losing weight. Then came day three. On the evening of the third day I found myself standing in front of the refrigerator frozen and not being able to move! At first I was staring at a box of frosted mini-wheats swearing that I wouldn't eat any. Next thing I know I'm holding that box swearing I wouldn't eat any. Than I stood there for a good five minutes and couldn't move. I was frozen by the desire to eat those delicious mini-wheats and the desire to lose weight fighting one another. Anybody that knows me would tell you that when I put my mind to something I always come through and I had definately put my mind to this. So when my body told me to eat those mini-wheats - my mind said NO! But when my mind said put the box down my body said NO!

It was a brutal lengthy battle and I couldn't move. I found myself staring harder and harder at that box. I noticed the sugar on the mini-wheats and how the milk so nicely draped itself over the individual wheats and into the bowl. I couldn't put it down! I slowly went to the cupboard and got out a bowl. Then I spent another five minutes trying to put that bowl back and couldn't. I wasn't used to this type of failure and it was excruciating. I was pouring the mini-wheats into the bowl and still tried to fight it. While I was saying to myself, "the first time you cheat is the hardest - after that it gets easier - so don't do it", I was getting out the spoon and the milk.

But then a miracle happened! I poured the milk in the bowl and as I raised the spoon to my mouth I could smell that the milk was bad! And this was a carton I had bought two days earlier! No matter what I couldn't eat those mini-wheats! I did have a slight urge to eat them dry but was able to fight that off.

There's been many battles since - none so intense, with many wins and losses. But the weight slowely came off. So keep at it - sometimes a power mightier than thou will look after thee!