View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 21:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 229/175/135
BF:37/29/22
Progress: 57%
Default Notice......

I'm left wondering how much you have to lose. I've noticed that it's the ones who don't have much to lose who look at this as a quick weight loss diet. There are a bunch of us who look at this as something that saved our lives and therefore it's become a WOL. I'm so thankful I saw the Dateline story about Josh M. in July and it made so much sense to me. I got it right away. I haven't felt this good in years and that includes about 7-8 years ago when I lost 40 lb. doing low fat(only to regain that and then some).

Here are some of my thoughts at my 6 mo. mark that I posted on another site. They still hold true.

From Jan. 20, 2003
"Well today marks 6 months of low carbing. I started the Atkins’ plan on July 20 of last year. I was just tallying all the things that I've gained since I decided to change my life forever(and I mean forever.....some things just will not have a place in my life anymore since I've ditched them....sugar and white starch, basically).
I feel fantastic. Aside from a few bouts of some allergic reactions to something unknown as of yet(suspecting my feather pillow instead of food), I’ve gained so many other things.

I no longer have the constant hunger that I was plagued with before embarking on this lifestyle. I used to eat from the time that I got home from work until I went to bed(about 8 hours nonstop).

I no longer limp to the bathroom like I used to do every morning upon arising from bed because my feet were in pain. I no longer have the leg aches that I used to have whenever I was on my feet all day at work. Those are gone, gone, gone. I just noticed the other day that the skin on my face is so much softer than it ever was and the color is great(no longer pasty, greyish, and bloated). I attribute that to finally eating a healthy amount of fat instead of almost no fat that was my diet prior to starting this WOL.

My dh and I have a more intimate relationship, even after 30 years of marriage and despite his complaints about parts of my anatomy getting smaller(he likes fat butts and breasts....weirdo, though I’ve told him that I’m not giving up a healthier body to get them back).

I have a much greater amount of energy than I’ve ever had before, even when I was in my twenties. I roll around on the floor with my grandsons with no trouble(I don’t remember my grandparents ever being able to do that).

I love being able to wear all my old smaller clothing and not having to shop in plus size clothing anymore. I look forward to going shopping for a whole new wardrobe when I finally reach my goal.

I've gained a body that weighs 51 pounds less, 229 to 178(now 175). I've gained a slimmer body by losing mucho body fat.

I've gained a smaller body by losing 29" from the 4 things I measured. My bust went from 47 to 43", my waist from 41 to 32", and my hips from 50 to 44"(yahoo). I've also lost 5" from each thigh.

I just feel so much younger now. Remember the old fountain of youth that everybody was searching for? Well, I feel like I've found it."

The health results alone are enough to keep me with this WOL. This winter is the first in a long time that I didn't worry or think about putting another 5-10 pounds on my body.....and I didn't. I actually lost a few. My loses have slowed down but I'm not worried in the least because I know that it will start again.