View Single Post
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 15:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 227/201/197 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 87%

Please keep these coming. I read about a few symptoms in the book, but to be honest, such books need to keep the symtpom variations in check, or the diet doesn't sell. I don't want to assemble these to detract from the diet or scare us off it.

Anyhow, here is the list I am compiling. Answers from here, from people I know on the diet, and another low-carb board I posted on.

1) Migraines – Some people tend to get migraines the first week of Induction and it can even last longer. Some people contribute this to not only carbohydrate-withdrawal, but also possibly the elimination of chocolate and caffeine.

2) Fatigue – The fatigue variable is actually fairly common during Induction. It typically kicks in on the 2nr or 3rd day, but most people claim it subsides after that, even claiming to have a new found energy. Additionally, those that like to exercise often find they lack a second wind, or they just tires easily as well.

3) Sleep Dysfunction – A small number of dieters during Induction have reported sleep issues. Specifically, not getting enough sleep. Some have discredited this as perhaps due to being excited or enthusiasm for a new diet, while others claim to have sleep issues well past the first few days.

4) Halitosis – This is a very common symptom and exists well through Induction. Associated effects include dry nose and mouth. Reports from some dieters claim to by drinking large quantities of water, still not being able to satiate their first or the dry mouth symptoms. Extreme cases of dry mouth have followed with occasional nose bleed.

5) Malodorous urine – This is also fairly common during Ketosis. The urine, even if drinking ample supplies of water, seems flushed with stinky toxins that give off a sour cabbage like odor.

6) Body temperature change – This is a very common symptom, but what is odd is that some people seem to feel cooler and others seem to feel warmer. Some people claim to get hot flashes or even sweat in their sleep, while others claim to be wearing extra garments when it is cooler. This may be in part due to metabolic changes, and associated with #2, Fatigue.

7) Body flushing – Similar to the body temperature changes, some reports are of people becoming pale. Most people report actually becoming flushed or even slightly red-faced. Typically, this is a mild symptom, and has to do more with the consumption of red meats and other foods higher in Iron.

8) Constipation Variant – This symptom varies from dieter to dieter, but most people in Induction report a distinct reduction in defecation. The average person reports going approximately two times per day before the diet, and at most once per day while in Induction. Also, volume per bathroom session seems to be a lot smaller. Those who take psyllium husk supplements have a reduced effect and waste removal seems normal.