#10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-03, 09:28

Plan: Montignac
Stats: 212/166/140
BF:
Progress: 64%

Dear Sandra

Thanks for your lovely mail today.

I live just outside London in Slough to be exact.....but hoping to move to the SW soon...

Anyhow no problems with me finding any of the foods, even Fructose is readily available in the Supermarkets here. I do feel for you as it must be pretty hard trying to get Organic, wholemeal food stuffs in Madrid.....I'm sure if you have a bit of a search on the internet there might be a few companies that supply customers in Europe.

Try this link......it maybe of some use. I haven't looked at it too closely but you might strike it lucky here:

http://www.biomarkets.com/magasin.php?magid=7&lang=GB

The only problem I had when I started the MM was that everyone thought it was a fad...they used to take the Mickey out of me a lot and ask me how my "Diabetic Diet" was going. It was only when the weight loss started to show did they start to come up to me and ask what I ate etc, and all of a sudden their attitudes changed. My partner was very understanding and supportive, and he is trying to do it properly now as he needs to lose a few lbs....

I am very lucky as I really don't like junk food, so not eating McDonalds or Burger King etc was no big deal for me. I haven't eaten a potato in any shape or form for 9 months and I don't miss them at all..... my other half loves that sort of food, so he is finding the MM slightly harder to stick to than me.

As for adapting to the MM? well I tell you...I bought the book on a Wednesday at lunchtime....and by the following morning had a pretty good handle on what was going on....and I haven't looked back. Between myself and my friend who lost 4 stone on the method we have managed to do a lot of fact finding from the internet and have helped eat other out with recipes, but have both admitted that we have felt like we have cheated our way through this because it has never seemed a chore.....as eating goes, this has been the most enjoyable way to loose weight ever....and we never feel like we are on any sort of restriction.

I did have a bit of a battle when visiting friends and relatives as they would always try to force me to eat potatoes or have rice with meat. I would be very strict with myself in these situations and thank them kindly for their lovely food, but not touch the offending food items! Now they are used to it, they don't bother me with all the lectures.

The easiest bit was in restaurants, I found the chefs and waiters etc very helpful. For example when I go to Pizza Express I would order a Salad Nicoise, but I would say to them I don't want the dough balls, or the new potatoes, but can I have extra olives and tuna.....they are always happy to do that. So don't just stick with salads when you go out in Madrid...if you see a pasta dish you like...say you want it without meat/seafood and ask for a salad on the side or extra sauce or cheese....or be cheeky (like me ) and ask for a glass of wine for free...hehehehehe

It was a shame you didn't go round to your friends house after your Spanish class.....I am sure if you explained you are changing the way you are eating rather than saying you are on a diet people would be very interested and understanding. Don't stop your social life because of food. Lord knows I did that for years...and it's miserable. So next time you get an invite ....go. If you get offered toast or whatever, decline it, but say your happy with some olives or some fruit.

Anyway...Have to go and do some work ...yawn

Oh while I remember...a very nice snack....get a can of chickpeas....drain them and pat them dry with kitchen towel.....pre heat the oven...gas mark 6 or so....place the chickpeas on a shallow roasting tray sprinkle some chilli, or salt or what ever spices you like...the roast them in the oven for 15 mins......after about 7 mins though check them and give the tin a bit of a shake....after 15 mins.....enjoy..........................delish!!!!!

Take care....all the best