View Single Post
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-04-12, 23:37

Plan: PP
Stats: 171/143/135 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

I was so glad to see this thread bumped up again. It's such a great story! I could relate to it so strongly that I figured it would be better to post my experiences right here as another similar success to yours. Hope that's OK.

I also have a neurological condition, transverse myelitis, that in many ways is like MS. For fifteen plus years it has caused severe neuropathic chronic pain. Tried every single pain med that my docs could think of, with no luck. Also, limited mobility was not helping with the 40's weight gain thing! In September 2010 I started a low fat, low cal diet. I lost around 18 pounds, but I felt worse than ever.

Around April, at some point I came across GCBC, and decided to try low carb. Not only did I lose another 18-20 pounds, but amazingly my pain issue improved drastically. Neuropathic pain is notoriously resistant to medical treatment. I had tried dozens of different types of meds. But about a month into LC, I started to notice a drastic difference in this aweful chronic pain. It became way less horrible. It seems kind of random. But the other major condition that can cause neuropathic pain is diabities. And the first thing that is recommended for these patients is controlling blood sugar! Even though my basic blood tests were always in the normal range, I am astounded that something I stumbled upon randomly was never even on the radar of any of my docs! (Especially since it's also considered a neuropathy). To be about 85% better in this regard has greatly improved my life.

The other part of your story that I can totally relate to is getting to a healthy weight and focusing on maintaining. Sure, I would love to lose another ten or fifteen pounds. But like you, I am sick of the weight loss mentality, and into enjoying my new, smaller size. It's simply fun to focus on things like clothes and hair and makeup. I love looking good at 51. 35 pounds ago I dreaded any kind of social event. Now I find that I am, shockingly, often one of the better looking ones at an event, even with a disability. I can feel confident in my appearance and enjoy things. It's nice.

Again, this is not a hijack or a bragging opp. For anyone out there with something like MS or TM or SCI or so many autoimmune type conditions, it might be worth considering or passing on to someone who has one. It was a pretty easy adjustment for me, and the unexpected payoff has been huge.

Obviously there is not much scientific research into this. But maybe if our stories get out there, others might be helped too.