#14   ^
Old Wed, Feb-26-03, 16:20
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/173/150 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:40.4+/37.1/ ?
Progress: 65%
Thumbs up Gall Bladder and Atkins

I had a chronic, "done-for" gall bladder this last fall. I believe in the info that eating low fat creates gall bladder problems/stones as the gall bladder is not being used and doesn't "exercise" and empty properly and stones and sludge build up. I ate nearly perfectly low fat for many years (why I am so overweight!). Anyway, I had a gall bladder with two over an inch stones, one blocking the duct and waiting for surgery, hoping to make it through until after last holidays. The bad thing was I found out about this at my daughter's Girl Scout fieldtrip to study carreers! We went to see what an ultrasound tech does and she asked if she could scan me as an example. She found all this terrible gall bladder condition. At that time (early November), I was only three days into induction and was SSSSSOOOOOO excited to be doing Atkins. She told me "I wouldn't eat ANYTHING with fat in it if I were you!!" Well. I stayed on Induction and was eating about 70% fat (! smile). I went to my doctor the next week and she also told me to avoid all fat, but I was so wanting to eat LC and feeling so much better, and because in my case the gall bladder was stopped up at the duct anyway, I weighed the pros and cons and fears, and I stayed on Induction.. thought I would let my body guide me. (I had had a deep ache for several months, which I thought was stomach, and this continued, but it was tolerable.
Anyway, I tried to wait until after holidays, but the first day of vacation (three days before Christmas) it decided to get much worse and I went into the hospital for removal.
I stayed on Atkins through this all, except in the three days in the hospital when I was on only IVs. I thought I would have lost weight when I got home, but I weighed and had gained 17 (!!!!! yup!! 17 pounds in four days!!!! I didn't even seem swollen?!) I was so upset but stayed on Atkins and within the next week I lost exactly 17 pounds! Whew!!! Water can definately affect weigh quickly and dramatically! I've stayed on Atkins since then and eat high on fat (about 70% some days) and have no more trouble with my gall bladder and feel just great. I am so motivated to continue with LC as a WOE because I am not thinking about and needing food to fight off low blood sugar all day. After the surgery, two doctors told me "no restriction" on eating, and after the chronic pain I had had for several months, I am now a bundle of joyous energy. In fact, when my doctor saw my steady weight loss over several subsequent check ups, she impressed and happy I am stickng with LC!
So, there's another, recent gall bladder story.... the worst day being when the ultrasound tech told me "I wouldn't eat any fat if I were you!!!" (I had just had about 3 oz. of cream cheese an hour before!!)
Ha! Go figure... I agree.. see how your body responds.
Cheers,