View Single Post
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 19:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 116/110/58
BF:
Progress:
Default Nitrates

I don't know what your bacon is like in the US and elsewhere, but I know there are small amounts of bacon in Aussie bacon. But I sort of blanch the bacon in boiling water for one minute before I cook it - mainly to get rid of the salt, its way too salty for my taste. And I was hoping while I was at it that maybe some of those nitrates might shake themselves loose and some of that sugar too!

But speaking of nitrates, if you're really concerned about nitrates ensure that you throw out all your toothpaste and hair shampoo and liquid soaps of most descriptions as they are full of sodium laurel sulphate better known as SLS. Very few shampoos use the more expensive version ammonium lauryl suphate.

Apparently one application to your hair of SLS-containing shampoo absorbs enough nitrates for 4.4lbs of bacon! Don't know the chemistry involved in this one, but bacon seems to blend into the background considering most people shampoo their hair probably more often than they eat bacon!

But I have found sources of reduced nitrate bacon here in Australia so you would have them too.

See ya