View Single Post
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 18:19

Plan: Atkins - Maintenance
Stats: 185/150/150 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

RE Heart Palpitations

When I brought this to my Doctor's attention, naturally he suggested all I'd have to do is return to my old eating regimen--the now seemingly esoteric low fat/high carb diet--which wasn't exactly the answer I was ideally looking for. However, when he was fully convinced that my conviction to stick to this was real, he offered me some theories.

First, there could have been an imbalance of potassium to sodium. During Induction, my sodium intake increased while my potassium intake decreased--relative to what it was normally. I'm not sure, but he also mentioned since I insisted on running 30 minutes per day, it exacerbated the issue of this imbalance which could cause heart palpitations. My heart rate never increased, but it felt heavier than usual.

Secondly, he suggested that since my body is making an effort to burn fat as a primary fuel for the first time, my body is working harder and less efficiently than it is used to during the transition especially since, according to him, fat is primarily used as a back up fuel never meant to be used as our primary fuel source. Of course, he advised me that Carbs ought to be my primary fuel source and if only I returned to my normal carb intake, all my recent "issues" would disappear at once.

Obviously, my Doctor is highly skeptical of my choice to embrace this eating philosophy. However, recently, I have felt much better and my palpitations are beginning to lessen day by day. Naturally, in my view, one should be fully examined by a physician when suffering from any sort of heart or chest irregularites irrespective of what the perceived causes might be.