View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-23-03, 15:26
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

You're getting the two plans confused, which is why you're confused.

Both have to be looked at at face value because they're entirely different. Louise Gittlemans Fat Flush Plan is a low calorie, semi-low carb plan.

Dr. Atkins Fat Fast is a last resort for people who are metabolically resistant. They have followed his plan to the letter for a period of time with no results and the Fat Fast is used to kick their body into fat burning mode. Fat Fast is low calorie too, 1000 calories with 75-90% of tha calories coming from fat. This is from DANDR:

Caution : The Fat Fast is actually dangerous for anyone who is not metabolically resistant. For people who lose weight fairly easily, the rate of weight loss is too rapid to be safe. But it carries very little risk for people who can barely lose on any other regimen.

What I would do is really examine objectively and with no blame or guilt what you have been eating. Your only journal entry talks about eating a muesli bar. So, if you've been giving into your sweet tooth or not following the plan as written, it could be why it's not working.

Have you referred to the Metabolic Resistance chapter in DANDR? It goes over some of the reasons why it occurs. Another cause is yo-yo dieting or starvation dieting. In this instance, I think it's really important to stay faithfully to a higher fat plan until your body is ready to trust what you're doing to it. The body remembers whereas our minds just jump to the happy ending of walking away thinly in the sunset.

All you may need is resistance training or pilates to tone your body. They will also increase your metabolic rate as well as build lean muscle mass which takes up less space than fat although it weighs in.

For what it's worth, I'm a tad taller than you - 165 cm - and I wouldn't even dream of being 110 pounds. I would be a bag of bones with no muscle because my lean body mass is around 125 pounds.

Karen