#15   ^
Old Sun, Feb-23-03, 12:04
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 230/203/145
BF:
Progress: 32%
Talking

I knew this topic would rally the pros and cons of low carb specialty foods.
I bought The good doctors book back in the mid 1980s' and back in them good old days there were no/or very scant low carb products available. You know how long I did Atkins. 1 month. Lost weight but because I have to have a WOE which allows me variety & choice (you dont have to buy LC products).
I had a tough time on Valentines day. Mounds of chocolate and other goodies placed before me all day, no week (my co-workers love to eat chocolate). If I had not bought a Carbolite cheesecake mix and made it for DH and I don't know if I would have resisted the raspberry glazed brownies my friend made. I saved myself ooodles of carbs and a guilt trip.
I lost weight that week. I do agree that there are all kinds of hidden sugars and chemicals in low carb foods. And everyone is affected by them in different ways.I find that I can't eat products w/glycerine in them because they make me crave and gain. But to think that a "thou shall only eat this way" attitude only perpetuates the boxed thinking of the world that overweight people should only drink Tab and eat celery sticks. There are not only the overweight folks but as I mentioned above the very sick diabetic and other metobolic affected folks out there who need a choice too. Thanks for all the input folks. I love this WOL and only want to see more folks discover it. Jules