View Single Post
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Feb-23-03, 10:39

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Teresa...

I think my main objection to low carb substitutes for high carb foods is that I see so many people who do have the time to make something else (or could with a little forethought and planning) eating them in place of foods that they should be eating. They're purposely cutting back on veggies so that they can have a low carb chocolate bar or low carb dessert instead and this is not a healthy trade-off.
Do I give all low carb products a bad rap? Heck no! But even those low carb tortillas you spoke of have citric acid in them which is a known staller for many people (I had a package of them in my freezer, too).
I also see a lot of complaints about how expensive this WOE is and it gets even more expensive when you start spending $2.50 for a low carb protein bar or chocolate bar several times a week and $6.00 for a box of low carb muffin mix or low carb bread.
I vigorously defended low carb chocolate when I first started low carbing (check some of my earliest posts ). They don't stall me, I said. Well...after nearly 5 months with no weight loss, I figured out that yes, they DO stall me and wound up eating a healthy (low carb, of course) portion of crow.
There are some good low carb products on the market and I use some of them myself, although my experience has been that for the most part, they taste nothing like their high carb counterparts and like I said before, if you can use them and not have a problem, go for it. BUT...I won't advocate using them in place of real, whole foods unless you are in a position where a better choice is simply not available, like your 3 hour meeting example.
It's a personal choice, but overall I'm trying to change my eating habits. I just don't see using a low carb replacement for the junk that I was eating as totally helpful in that respect.