#12   ^
Old Sun, Feb-23-03, 09:03

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally posted by theresa113
I find it kind of funny that many of the forum moderators are so against low carb products.

I personally can't say I'm against low carb products, but many are speaking from experience as well as seeing many, many posts from people who have been stalled by them or experienced increased cravings because of them.
If you can use low carb products (bars, chocolate, etc...) without a problem, more power to ya and if eating a low carb chocolate bar will keep you from binging on the real deal it's probably a better choice.
OTOH, the focus of many low carb plans is to get away from eating fake, highly processed foods and focus on eating more natural whole foods instead. It concerns me when I see people substituting entire meals with a protein bar or shake instead of eating real food.
Manufacturers aren't stupid. They recognize that most people aren't going to be willing to give up sweets, breads, etc... forever and they are capitalizing on that by providing low carb knockoffs. They're feeding the very addictions that we're trying to overcome. Okay...so they're available. Does that mean we should be eating them on a regular basis? How good are they for you really when you eat them in place of something else like veggies, real meat or low glycemic fruits? Are you cutting back on the veggies so you can have a low carb muffin or candy bar instead? Is that a good choice?
Don't get me wrong. I understand PMS and the associated cravings and I've been known to indulge in low carb products in response to that as well, but the longer I low carb the less I actually crave and want those things and the less often I find myself eating them. If you really think you're craving chocolate, try eating some unsweetened baker's chocolate. Not very good, right? Does it satisfy your craving? It's not the chocolate you're craving, it's the sugar.