View Single Post
  #62   ^
Old Tue, Jul-05-11, 00:50

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%
Default The D problem can be caused by so many things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabdab01
I know that this is probably way TMI, but I started taking a magnesium supplement today and within 3 hours I was running to the bathroom every 20 min.

The supplement that I took is:

Doctor's Best
High Absorbtion
100% Chelated Magnesium
Magnesium (elemental)--200 mg
(from 2000 mg magnesium glycinate/lysinate chelate)

I only took 2 pills, which is 1/2 the recommended daily dose. From what I have read, this is Albion Minerals chelated and is supposed to be absorbed better and cause less diarrhea.

Why would only 200 mg have this affect on me? I have never taken magnesium before, so I don't have anything to compare this to. Should I try taking 100 mg 4 times a day instead of the 200 mg 2 times a day?

Not sure what to do...

Hi there!

That does indeed seem to be an extreme reaction!!!

I can only think of the following explanations: like Nancy says, you may be sensitive to too much supplemental magnesium in the system in one go.

My personal recommendation for taking magnesium is indeed to take only one 100mg tablet at a time. The body can only absorb a certain amount at any given point, so if you give it too much, it will just excrete the excess, so, yes, definitely go down to only 1 tablet at a time.

Without knowing anything else about you and how you are eating at the moment, it is also difficult to say what other things may have had an effect on your body's reaction to this supplement.

I know that when I started low-carbing for the very first time and was pretty gung-ho about the high-fat element of my plan (it was soooo liberating to allow myself to eat liberal amounts of the stuff!!!), I had BM problems (i.e. excessive), which was probably due to the fact that my body needed a while to adjust to my new diet.

I have also read that too much fat (whatever that means) in the diet can impede magnesium absorption. Did you take your 2 tablets with a meal or away from a meal?

Did you take the magnesium along with another supplement? A lot of people react badly to multivitamins because there is simply "too much" in them and the body can't cope - it seems - and says, "Hey, I can't manage all this at once: excrete! excrete! excrete!"

Plus, I would also recommend that you just take, say, 200mg per day for the minute and increase if necessary. Maybe you aren't even that deficienct in magnesium and don't need much extra???

What motivated you to start taking magnesium? What does your daily diet look like right now? (including what kind of beverages you are drinking)

Anyway, listen to your body: it is telling you that you took too much at once!!! (in my humblest of opinions )

amanda