View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-03, 21:38

Plan: South/Atkins/Ornish/etc.
Stats: 275/260/190 Male 5'10"
BF:lbs&in. first, ok?
Progress: 18%

I made this dish tonight for dinner, with a couple modifications. (Hope you don't mind!)

Both because you mentioned the sauce was quite thick after cooking, and because my wife isn't a huge fan of artichoke hearts, I decided to try and puree the holy bejabbers out of the sauce ingredients. Lo and behold, it made a relatively smooth sauce with no bits of artichoke, and it was the perfect consistency after coming out of the oven.

Here's what I did:

I ran all the sauce ingredients except the cheeses and artichokes through the food processor until smooth. I added 1/2 cup whole milk mozzarella and 1/2 cup shredded parmesan (lower carbs, and great flavor!) and the drained artichoke hearts one at a time. The whole sauce was scooped into a bowl and refrigerated for a couple hours.

I browned the chicken in a little peanut oil until they were about 140 degrees inside (about ten minutes), then put them in a glass casserole. I scooped all the sauce over the chicken and put the casserole lid over. Baked at 350 for about half an hour, then finished with the lid off under the broiler to brown the top of the cheeses.

Delicious with fresh steamed asparagus!

(Although I agree that we can probably cut the sauce in half; we had a LOT left over...)

My best guess is that the chicken and sauce added up to about 1.5 effective carbs per serving (counting only what went with the chicken when it left the dish). I'll enter the recipe into MasterCook later tonight and see what the breakdown really is.

This was great, and we've added it to our "we'll do it again!" list.