View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-03, 14:08

Plan: ProteinPowerLifePlan w/IF
Stats: 166/143/135 Female 62.5
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default You gotta find what you'll stick with!

From what I understand, Protein Power isn't THAT much different from Atkins (I have read both).

Before I answer that, though, I'd like to point out that I have not totally given up on caffeine. Just can't do it, and don't really want to do it. Now, if this explains why I'm losing more slowly than I'd like, then so be it. If I have to give up caffeine to lose faster, that ain't going to happen. Gotta do what you're HAPPY with...if you ain't happy, it ain't gonna last!

That being said, the BIGGEST difference that I can tell with PP and atkins is that fiber doesn't count in PP. (Although reading the board, there are some Atkinsers that don't count fiber grams toward carbs either.)
Also, the carb limit is higher (not by much).

Many of this site read PP as 30 grams (8 to 10 per meal across 3 to 4 meals in the day). My book says 40 grams (10 per meal across 4 meals) per day. Don't know the discrepancy...maybe I have an older/newer Protein Power book?

Anywho...*I* did Protein Power with 40 grams, not including fiber, and it worked for me.
When you approximate 10 to 15 grams of fiber a day, that's a total of 50 to 55 grams a day according to Atkins. So more than double.

I didn't stay away from any particular foods (like flour or sugar)...I just counted the carbs and went on my merry way...so I would sometimes have a light bread (8 carbs, 2 are fiber, so a total of 6 carbs) with my eggs and bacon in the morning - getting to about 10 grams.
With Protein Power, the carb source doesn't really matter, so YOU can CHOOSE how you want to spend those carbs. Of course, it's more filling/satisfying to have a cup of strawberries for dessert instead of a half-inch size brownie! But both are options for you - as long as you stick to the carb limit.

Does that make sense?

Hope this helps you in your path to choosing! I read the Zone as well...too complicated for me, but it would certainly allow for more carbs for you.

-- Loretta