View Single Post
  #15   ^
Old Wed, May-11-11, 12:35

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 225/208.6/140 Female 5'2"
BF:Really/effing/high
Progress: 19%

In "The 6 Week Cure for the Middle-Aged Middle", Dr Eades wrote a great deal about fatty liver.

There is a mention of it in his blog:
http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/...t-and-bad-fats/

Quote:

In the 6-Week Cure we wrote about how vegetable oils – at least in lab animals – drive the development of fatty liver. Researchers give rodents large regular doses of alcohol to get them to develop fatty livers. They have found that if they give the rodents vegetable oils, they can accelerate the development of liver disease. If the rodents get saturated fats, however, they almost can’t get fatty livers no matter how much alcohol they take in. Does this apply to humans? Who knows? These kinds of studies would be unethical to do in humans, so we can’t test to find out. But, the evidence is clear enough in rodents that I’m not all that eager to go face down in the vegetable oil.

I suspect that one of the reasons non-alcoholic fatty liver disease is reaching epidemic proportions worldwide is the ubiquitous substitution of vegetable oils for saturated fats every where. When we were doing research for the book, I scoured the literature to find studies in which people with fatty liver disease were treated with diet and found only two such studies. In both of them the fatty livers of the subjects reversed quickly – in just a matter of a few days – when the subjects went on low-carb diets. I suspect that the increase in saturated fat helped things along markedly. And, I suspect the unwarranted avoidance of saturated fats by our bamboozled fellow citizens is one of the reasons there is so much fatty liver disease.