Old Tue, May-10-11, 11:41
Registered Member

Plan: Primal
Stats: 257/192/160 Male 70 Inches
BF:
Progress: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
Well, I don't consider a flaxseed muffin a "substitute" for anything. It is real flaxseed, a real egg, real coconut oil.

I don't feel the same way about Atkins bars, which involve sugar alcohols and various chemicals I don't count as "real" food.

The low-carb instructions say, NO FLOUR PRODUCTS. So why would a flaxseed muffin be a bad choice? It isn't a "fake flour" product. It's something entirely different. And those are the choices we make.

For me...

Back in the day, I'd never eat a flaxseed muffin. Are you kidding me. A nice hunk of toasted bannana bread, loaded with chocolate and carmel chips... toasted and slathered with butter... Yea... I was on that.

Flaxseed... no way.

Now... what I have done while on low carb was... Ohhhh... a little extra splenda... mmmmmmmm... put some 85% crumbled up chocolate in there. Is that sugar free carmel syrup over there? MMMMMMMMMMMM.... Yea... I deserve THIS. I've been good ALL week. I had a tough day. REWARD TIME.

Wait... is this a new way of living? Maybe there are hardly any carbs in there. And, a whole lot of fiber too.

But, I am telling my mind that my rewards are still... BREADS... SUGARS... CHOCOLATE... CARMEL. I am holding on to the old principals that I cannot be happy eating a low carb diet... I must occasionally fall back to my old way of eating to be happy in my life...

And what is worse... is when I ease my guilt by providing myself with the fake substitutes. I'm in a painful position, with one foot on each side of the fence... all the time telling myself: "It's OK... It's not REALLY a muffin... It just tastes like one... kinda... sorta... not really... BLECH"

Now, this is just me. Other people, I am sure, can have "cheat days", and fake muffins, and Atkins bars, and diet drinks and all kinds of artificial sweetners. I cannot. This isn't my first rodeo. I've been on and off diets before. And, EVERY time I have fallen, it has started with a small compromise in my resolve. EVERY time.