View Single Post
  #13   ^
Old Thu, May-05-11, 21:18
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

I don't know anything about dealing with heart disease, but I wanted to ask if your husband has had his thyroid levels tested? The reason I ask is because if one's thyroid isn't working well, sometimes this can trigger all kinds of other things, such as higher cholesterol readings, higher blood pressure, higher blood sugar numbers - all at once. As far as I can tell, if someone turns up hypothyroid, this can mess up all those other numbers, without anyone realizing it's a thyroid problem. High blood pressure, high blood glucose numbers, higher cholesterol.

The only other thing I can suggest is that fish oil will help bring the triglycerides down - in fact, there's a prescription strength fish oil on the market designed to do just that (Lovaza, I think it's called). Thing is - you can get a decently high dose fish oil supplement at the health food store. Just something to keep in mind - fish oil is *so good* at lowering triglycerides that they've now got a prescription fish oil out on the market for this.

In the meantime, regular exercise (long walks daily) will lower blood pressure and blood sugar numbers. I've seen it work.

No expert here, but magnesium will also help with blood pressure and blood sugar. Hopefully someone else will chime in on this aspect.

In terms of diet - I really believe in low-carb for helping with all kinds of things, and in terms of "high fat" - well, I'm with bkloots on this one. It's not that you purposely want to add in all kinds of extra fat, just that 'normal' fat is totally ok, and very beneficial.

I don't think overly low-fat is very good.

Hang in there and here's hoping this gets sorted out.