#28   ^
Old Tue, May-03-11, 09:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 148/144/132 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 25%

Quote:
Originally Posted by moggsy
I get really bad arthritis if I eat wheat or refined sugar. It's not in my head, and as big as I still am, I should get the clicking (so loud that others can hear it) and pain in my knees whether I am eating these things (at least according to common knowledge about what causes joint problems). For a long time I thought it was starchy food in general, but I've found that it really only comes back if I eat a lot of food with wheat or refined sugar. I can eat a fair amount of carby fruit and even potatoes or rice and not have it. This isn't something that is new with low carb; I just always thought it had to do with my weight.

I also think people who have a lot of lower GI problems from carbs probably have yeast issues. I don't think it's a simple as stop eating carbs and all your health problems will go away. I think some carbs are more tolerated than others by people in general whether they have similar levels of carbohydrate.

We've sort of lived a long time without wheat and even longer without refined sugar. We may be designed with the ability to process carbs, even if it was just for times when the carbier fruits and plants were in season, but I think things like sugar, wheat, fruit juices, and HFCS are something totally different.

Hi Moggsy,

same thing happened with me: when I limited wheat and eliminated white sugar & HFCS, my arthritis pain went away. Not to mention my stomach became flatter. I remember feeling odd for a few days and couldn't pinpoint what was different until I realized that my every day leg pain and back pain was gone!

When I am lo-carbing, I do not eat low-carb bread products at all simply because I do not like the taste. I want to have the real thing - or nothing. But I miss good bread! I am the only person in my family with arthritis pain, the others eat wheat, whole-wheat and sometimes meat (vegetarians for the most part of the week) and are pain-free. How about rice? I have many friends from Japan and China, and they eat a lot of rice and vegetables and some meat, and arthritis is not a popular occurrence there. It seems so unfair, yet the only conclusion that comes to mind is that it's me, I must have apparently lost the ability to digest wheat a few years ago and the badly-digested by products of wheat caused my arthritis.

Since I miss bread, I feel tempted to experiment: how about if I "keet" the bread and just eliminate sugar & HFCS?? hmmm, would arthritis pain still be gone? Have you tried this experiment?