#2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-20-03, 21:41
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Hi Deborah,

Carbs are an addiction and addictions take time to overcome. You have been doing great -- don't beat yourself up too much because you had one bad evening. The carbs got the better of you tonight, but you can get the better of them tomorrow.

Feeding kids is tough -- I know that I gained quite a few pounds finishing what my kids were eating when they were younger. You've probably gotten in the habit of popping a few Cheerios in your mouth while feeding them and that habit just came back because you let up your guard a little and weren't watching for it after three successful weeks on Atkins. Once you eat a few carbs, it is just really easy to keep on going.

Learn from this experience and you'll be fine. Obviously, you have to watch it while feeding the kids so you don't start to snack without paying attention to what you are doing. Just pick yourself up and go back to eating the way you were eating. You may gain a few pounds of water weight, because carbs make you retain water, but if so the water will be gone in a few days. You may also have more cravings for carbs for the next few days, but you overcame that once and you can overcome that again. It doesn't sound like you ate enough extra calories to gain any fat.

Good luck to you! Focus on how well you have been doing and what you can do to prevent a similar carb blow-out in the future.