#11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-07-11, 21:19

Plan: I need to find one
Stats: 179/179/154 Female 5'4.5
BF:
Progress:
Default grammie2

Hello,
I just found this site and think it is great! I have just been diagnosed after years (since 1992) of a long road and oodles of tests and repeated tests with Bile Salt Diarrhea. I am 61. When I went to the Gastro doc today, I asked him do you suppose BSD? He said, yes that is what I was going to tell you. I had been doing some research on it. Being an nurse, I always research stuff. Anyway, I told him about reading that taking Calcium Carbonate 600mgs-1200mgs can help stop D. So in the weeks waiting for my appt. I started the Calcium (make sure it is Carbonate) 1 in the AM with my 10mgs Bentyl (dicyclomine) and again at supper. If I do indulge in to much fat or fresh fruits & veggies and the sudden D starts anyway, I go ahead and take another 600mgs. If the D is not stopping after an hour, I will take another 600mgs and Bentyl. If it is a real bad flare, I will take Imodium or Lotmotil (this is by prescription). He said the calcium and vit. D 2000 Units a day is great since BSD causes malabsoprtion of fat soluable vit. and calcium. I gave him the info. He also gave me the antibiotic Xifaxan for small bowel bacterial over growth and Questran. Not sure about the Questran if I can moderate my indulgence in fats and food triggers. I would rather do it natural.

I have compensated by eating so much carbs like bagles, toast, crackers, cereal all the time as I am hungry. I need to loose about 34 pounds although with RSD/CRPS one of the meds I am on causes wt. gain or really affects loosing wt. So am going to explore this site.

Any input is really appreciated to help me get the right balance of carbs and protiens. I do not get enough protein. Thank you,
grammie2