View Single Post
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Apr-01-11, 20:36
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 192/190/135 Female 64in
BF:47.5
Progress: 4%

Carbs are terrible for humans, we weren't meant to eat them, and this just goes to prove it!!"

Ummm, no. We were born with the ability to digest starches and carbs just as we were born with the ability to digest protein and fats. In fact, carbs are broken down before ANY OTHER macronutrient. (Saliva in the mouth)

Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

This is interesting......Carbs could possibly be digested first because the enzyme amylase for starch digestion needs to work at a certain higher pH. One that would be found in the mouth and not in the stomach - hence - it gets digested first. Carbs turn into blood glucose and glucose acts like shards of glass in the bloodstream, wrecking havoc everywhere. That is why diabetics have so many problems. Hence, our homeostatic mechanism of insulin to hustle it away quickly, and we normally need very little of it. However, glucose in the blood does take longer to kill than starvation does....and so we did evolve to consume carbs to increase our chances of charging our "battery" aka adipose tissue/fat....which would increase our chances of making it through a famine. Those are my thoughts. So I believe we were meant to be omnivores, but take away the threat of starvation and a better fit might be to revert to carnivore. I went to school with someone with your name by the way....I'm wondering what state you live in.