Old Sat, Mar-26-11, 17:35
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/183/150
BF:
Progress: 65%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBelle
I use Jennie-O extra lean turkey bacon. It has no sugar in the curing and comes out extreamly crisp.

If something has sugar it has carbs. In the US as long as there is less then .9g per serving they can list it as 0 carb. For some people even small amounts of sugar can trigger cravings and they prefer to avoid it.

I'm in the camp you can't totally avoid sugar and small controlled amounts combined with protien won't kill me. However I also belive when I buy meat I want meat. I don't want tosmething that has been injectted with sugar, salt and every chemical under the sun. Just give me my meat dammit

I totally agree with you, LadyBelle!! I've been known to throw a hissy fit in the grocery store at least once a week because I can't find REAL FOOD anywhere! I'm eating low carb to control my blood sugar so that hidden stuff really messes me up! I was so mad when I saw the sugar AND dextrose added to bacon. I'm heading for WalMart to find the brand mentioned here.

I also went on a search for nitrate free bacon and found that Hormel actually sells some.....for like $6 lb.!!! Gotta pay more for leaving the crap out!

Speaking of unnecessary additions....in all canned tuna packed in water you will find soy and vegetable broth as ingredients. I asked WHY and it seems that Starkist feels the vegetable broth ENHANCES the tuna. WHAT????? I'm beyond crazy with all this. They're trying to kill us...that's got to be it!