Old Thu, Mar-24-11, 23:36

Plan: VLC, Paleo
Stats: 243/228.4/135 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:way too much!!!
Progress: 14%

[U]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LStump
I would say most of the things you mentioned.. aren't meant to be eaten. Anything processed, really. Or not found in its natural state. Lots of people feel bad when they eat bread. Whether they are on low carb or not. I have a gluten sensitivity and when I eat pizza, cake, rolls, etc., I feel SO awful, and I did for a few years before going to LC. So I wouldn't say I lacked the enzymes.

I can, however, eat potatoes, yuca, plantains, etc., without these problems. Most people, when complaining of these problems, are complaining that processed junk is what is giving them digestive problems and are right when they say they aren't meant for the human body to consume.

You have articulated precisely the point at hand: I think two issues may have been confused!

(1) We were designed to digest naturally ocuring carbs (in veggies, fruits, legumes, potatoes, etc.)
---The processed stuff is BAD for us, no matter which way you cut it. ["Processed" refers not just to twinkies and ice cream, but most breads, cereals, crackers, rice, etc.]
---The rise of industry, fast foods, general availability of food, and grocery markets, have made us fat and sick! period.
---We were never meant to eat these natural items in the frequency or quantity that we consume them today. They would come with the seasons and the region!

(2) After being on LC and 'cheating' or going on maintenance, some people can tolerate some natural carbs. However, some people are EXTREMELY sensitive to any kind of sugar or gluten and the like (found in both natural and processed products). And they only discovered this by going LC and then going back to one or more offending foods.

Example: some LCers cannot eat natural fruits, because it makes their blood sugar rise too much This DOES cause problems with fatigue and stomach issues.

Furthermore, there are some theories that state we have these allergies/sensitivities because of our poor diets. In other words, eating the refined, highly processed crap (99% of foods from the grocery) has caused problems with insulin resistance and other food issues in the first place! Thus, destroying some people's ability to eat 'natural' carbs without problems.