#5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-22-11, 10:53

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by colejames
..."Oh man, after accidentally eating that piece of bread/roll/donut/pizza/[insert carby food here] I had bloating, stomach cramps, bathroom problems, and fatigue like no other!! Carbs are terrible for humans, we weren't meant to eat them, and this just goes to prove it!!"

Ummm, no. We were born with the ability to digest starches and carbs just as we were born with the ability to digest protein and fats. In fact, carbs are broken down before ANY OTHER macronutrient. (Saliva in the mouth)

The REASON you are getting these digestion problems is NOT because you're finally teaching your body how to live the way it should have, but because your body is simply ADJUSTED to not eating them, and therefore makes fewer enzymes that aid in carb digestion.....

I didn't know I had a problem digesting starch until I went lowcarb. Suddenly all my life-long digestive issues (bloating, cramps, diarrhea, etc.) disappeared. At first I thought it was just gluten sensitivity, but when I tried a starch-based, vegan diet (McDougall) and did it gluten-free, I had all the same problems. It's starch! I suspect that many people who find success on a low carb diet have the same problem, whether they know it or not.