View Single Post
  #192   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 06:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/157/125 Female 5' 2"
BF:28%/28%/20%
Progress: 14%
Default Only just found this thead...

What an interesting thread this had been. I hope you are all handling your change gracefully.

I'm 53 and finally 2 years without a period, but experienced most of the symptoms described here. I also began this process at about age 42. My last child was born when I was 37, and after her my periods were never the same. My gyn kept looking for problems, and found one small polyp that she was convinced caused all the problems. Had that removed, but nothing changed.

Niagra falls lasted for the next 10 years, only I never knew when it would happen. For the last six years, I would only have my period every several months, and I went to six months several times and once a full year only to get it again.

The hot flashes started in my mid forties and seemed to be more frequent every time I missed a period. I looked forward to the flashing, as this was a sure sign I wouldn't get it (ha). OK, that got not so funny when the flashing just got worse and worse.

Two years ago, just as my periods really stopped, the flashing was continuous, probably every couple of minutes for about 3 months. I live in Minnesota and kept my windows open at night and fan blowing even in the winter (-20 to -30 degrees). I couldn't get cool enough.

Finally this last summer everything stopped. No more night sweats, no flashing, I felt fabulous.

Until...I started LC'ing in November. By December, the hot flashes and night sweats returned. I've read that fat releases hormones as you lose, so that must be what is happening.

Sorry, this may not be good news to some of you 40 somethings, but maybe your loss now will help improve things down the road. Perhaps it won't last 10 years for you.

I wish you all good luck, and a good nights' sleep!