View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 06:04

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

I get all my veggies (and fruit for rest of family) at a local market rather than in the chain store. Much better quality and prices. They have deli meats and fresh meat there, too, and are usually pretty good.

For salads, I buy heads of romaine and bunches of spinach, wash a bunch of it, tear and put in the large ziploc bags in the fridge. Takes only a few minutes and I have bagged salads to just grab a handful whenever I need it, at a fraction of the cost of prebagged salads from the store. Also, grate cheese and put in ziplocs, boiled eggs kept on hand, too. Canned TUNA is a great buy, as well. Also, don't forget ground beef. When I was in that low-fat frame of mind, I'd buy the extra lean, but now I buy regular or lean--can be used for so many things. I like to make cabbage rolls without the rice, giant hamburger patty with green beans and butter, beef casseroles, etc.
You'll surprise yourself with all the great (cheap) ideas you come up with.

Oh, one more thing, when your deli has their meats on sale, stock up and wrap extra in foil and put in freezer. Same with most things-freeze it!

Happy deal-hunting,
N.