#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 04:55
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 169/156/135
BF:40.5/36/25
Progress: 38%
Default LoCarb - Quit Smoking Connection

I suspected that there was a connection between smoking and eating sugar/carbs. My cravings for cigarettes felt a LOT like food cravings. And smoking a cig would satisfy my hunger...Conversely, it's been SO much easier to quit smoking this time, and I'm convinced it's because I'm also lo-carbing. Has anyone else experienced this?

Anyway, I looked around and found this excerpt (credit to a previous thread on this forum) from Protein Power FAQ. (I'm on Atkins, but lo-carb is lo-carb) I thought y'all would find it interesting - and encouraging!

How do smoking and smoking cessation affect the diet?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

"Smoking-particularly cigarette smoking-promotes the development of insulin resistance with all its attendant problems: obesity, lipid disturbances, atherosclerosis, hypertension, even diabetes. There is absolutely no reason to smoke, so why risk it? Many smokers fear weight gain when they stop, and indeed, stopping cigarette smoking causes a transient drop in metabolic drive (probably about 10%) which makes weight loss/maintenance a little tougher for a while. Coupling this diet with your efforts to stop smoking makes your job easier-through improved insulin sensitivity and better magnesium balance. We’ve had people from all over the country tell us that when they began eating their Protein Power Plan diet, their craving for cigarettes lessened and they were able to entertain notions of quitting smoking for the first time in their adult lives. Many readers and patients have been able to stop smoking and still continue to lose weight."
Sponsored Links