#2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-16-03, 17:56
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
However, I am aware of my history and my repeated failures about this time and want to prepare to FIGHT!

Good! Now we can talk woman to woman.

I don't think anyone ever loses weight "the way they want to" because our expectations go beyond what our bodies and minds are capable of. There is also the "golden opportunity" of the first time low-carber. I don't know why, but every time you go off and on low carb or off and on any plan, the fat disappears more slowly. And you've already got the low-down on percentages, not pounds.

Then there's that dialogue that goes on in our heads: If I lose this weight I'll be_______ . (Fill in the blank) Usually it's something like happier, more attractive, worthy of love, etc., etc.

Drop the dialogue and step back for a moment. How exactly will being less fat do this? Besides 10 billion other negative consequences - like losing weight and those things not coming true - how will it make you any different than you are now?

So, besides your mind and body working in synch, which they will if you relax and let them, there's the actual diet to look at.

Quote:
I am careful, and do watch the fruit, nuts, and cheese.

How carefully? Are you having a whole apple instead of the correct serving size? High fat dairy products? How many ounces of nuts, and what types? Any cheating at all? Alcohol? Bars?

Quote:
Can I still lose weight if I take a more relaxed approach?

Maybe yes, maybe no. You don't know if you don't try.
Quote:
If I am sure that I'd keep losing - even 1/2 pound a week - I think I'd keep fending off temptation better. I am trying to do this in a way I know I can do forever, instead of being so restrictive I just can't handle it.

You can do forever when you reach your goal. To get there, it might have to take doing what you percieve as being restrictive. If you want something really badly, you find a way. There are no barriers between you and what you want unless you put them there. If you're willing to do this for a lifetime, just start doing it.

Throw away the scale, don't obsess and pretend that this is it!

Karen