Old Sun, Feb-16-03, 11:17
Registered Member

Plan: Mix of Atkins and Neanderthin
Stats: 240/196/175 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Quote:
Originally posted by TeriDoodle
Click here for a good discussion about the 10x rule.

It is a nice discussion on the 10x-12x rule but I don't see anyone backing up their claims or indicating where that number came from (i.e. a book, website, scientific research paper, etc.).

Also, there is one important piece of information in that discussion that to me seems to be an incredibly import caveat to the 10-12x rule that I rarely see discussed.

wbahn writes:
"Now, about that 10x rule. That is a rule of thumb that is applicable to people not too far above their ideal weight - and you probably are close enough. For people way above their ideal weight, the rule of thumb is along the lines of 400 calories plus 10 calories for every pound of lean body mass plus maybe one or two more for every pound of body fat."

Again, there is no reference to where basis for that assertion came from but if it is true, we shouldn't be throwing 10-12x number around willy nilly and telling people who are 350lbs to eat 3500-4000 calories per day.

wbahn also wrote "you need to support close to your BMR". If that is the case it would make sense to set your daily calorie limit somewhere around your BMR which would theoretically be a better number than just 10-12x your current weight.

There seems to be a conflict between what Atkins says (1800 for women, 2000 for men) and the 10-12x rule. What I really want to know is where that 10-12x rule came from. I am not trying to say the 10-12x rule is wrong, I just want to know who came up with that guideline.