Plan: Zone
Stats: 151/129/128 Female 5'4"
BF:17.5%
Progress: 96%
Default Re: Thnaks for your help - I have another question

Quote:
Originally posted by TonyD
...and cut back on protein.

You may not have to cut back on protein. Just don't have more than 5 ounces per serving...
Quote:
Originally posted by TonyD I eat 1/2 cup (dry) of slow cooked oats (of course I cook it in water)[/B]

That would equate to approx. 3 carb blocks, but would have to know the carb and fiber count from the label to be sure.
Quote:
Originally posted by TonyD I have read a week in the zone.[/B]

Excellent. That is a great book to begin with.
Quote:
Originally posted by TonyD I obviously don't understand the blocks and I have been using the eyeball method and using a carb calculator to try to figure out what I am doing.[/B]

You're right. That book does not explain the block method and does suggest using the eyeball method. I would suggest using a kitchen scale and other measuring tools until you're fully familiar with serving sizes..
Quote:
Originally posted by TonyD Is there anywhere on line that explains the blocks and gives a sample diet? Is there a service that will ok a menu that I might like to follow?[/B]

Try going back to the book and start with the menus beginning on p. 69. Choose breakfasts, lunches, dinners and snacks you can do for a week or two. You don't have to do "Day 1", Day 2, etc. Just find the meals you can do. Substitue from the back of the book if you need to .
Doing this for a week or two will clear your mind. You'll find you have more energy and clearer mental focus. It will be much easier then to take on learning more.
The block method can be confusing if you're not accustomed to reading food labels and measuring things.
One block is comprised of: 7g of protein, 9g of carb & 3g of fat.
For example (approx): 2 egg whites = 7g of protein, 1/3C of cooked oatmeal = 9g carb & 2/3t = 3g fat. Multiply all those items by 4, and you have a 4 block breakfast (alittle boring, but you get the idea)
Now, the sample menus (for men) in the book total 14 blocks. You are likely to need more. You need to know YOUR block requirement. It is determined by your LBM and activity level ~ NOT your weight. We "feed" lean muscle ~ NOT fat. The easiest way to determine your block requirement is to go to: http://www.zoneperfect.com/site/content/calculator.asp
or if you know your LBM, let me know and I'll figure it out for you.